Notice how a woman’s brain is far more active at rest?
This is why women tend to want to talk after a hard day, while men want to process in solitude.
Women want to talk it out, process and explore.
“Women will tend to want to interact with colleagues after a stressful meeting or interact with family, friends, and relatives at the end of a busy day. These activities help women produce oxytocin, increase relaxation, and relieve stress, which in itself produces even more oxytocin, a critical stress-reducing hormone.” -Annis & Nesbitt
Men want to give their brain time to explore, unwind, and decide what to do next.
“After a long stressful meeting or at the end of a busy day, men tend to want to shut down and drift off–close off the world for a little while. Men tend to retreat and seek solitude or engage in some low-involvement activity, such as watching the news or sports, or working on a small project. It’s a natural tendency in a man to “turn off” to replenish testosterone, and that releases his stress, relaxes, and re-energizes him
Neither of these approaches is right or wrong, but they are different. Different is good! It’s why we want to have both men and women on teams, to leverage each other’s strengths. The following facts will blow your mind, and hopefully explain some of the behavior of the opposite sex.
Special Note: The facts below are tendencies — not rules. There are always exceptions to findings, but these tendencies do help us understand how the two genders tend to think, behave, and act.
Why women remember everything.
- Women have a larger hippocampus. This is where we store memories. This is why women can recall Every. Single. Word. of an argument from 5 years ago.
Women feel, while men use logic.
- Men take a more fact-based approach to their environment, often scanning for threats and challenges.
- Women tend to take a more intuitive approach because they perceive people and events more deeply and with greater memory capacity.
We problem solve differently.
- Men tend to converge in their thinking. They define and clarify the problem and begin by eliminating and isolating issues.
- Women often will define the problem in broader terms and examine a wider array of potential factors before going into solution mode.
- This is why women want to talk out problems and men want to dive right into solving them.
Men and women in conflict.
- Men’s brains gravitate toward facts and logic, while women’s brains are geared toward intuition and emotion Men tend to depersonalize and externalize issues or problems, giving them time to think through solutions, often in solitude.
- Women tend to personalize and are more inclined to talk through the issue to reach understanding.